Our Caravan Club 5 CL site is set amongst spectacular open parkland. Most pitches are on grass with some hard-standing. All pitches are widely spaced and flat. Each pitch has access to a top-quality modern bollard supplying 16 amp electricity, water and a night-light. Access is by a sweeping wide gravel driveway.
We have planted 10 acres of pasture as parkland with rare and handsome tree and shrub species. The other 6 acres of mainly oak, birch, rowan and beech woodland have been planted with unusual woodland species. We will be delighted to share gardening experiences with visiting gardening enthusiasts. Mown grass and moss paths wind their way through the woods. Visitors are free to enjoy the arboretum and use the woodland garden walks for personal or dog exercise.
And there’s more! We are immediately adjacent to over 300 acres of Forestry Commission - Ostler’s Plantation, with its highly popular and much used woodland rides. Also neighbouring us is the 185 acre Kirkby Moor Nature Reserve, predominantly of heathland and woodland and a Site of Special Scientific Interest.
The plants at Oaklea have been specially selected to provide colour and interest all the year round. Spring time - bulbs, camellias, rhododendrons, azaleas, cherry and apple blossom all add to the first, fresh flush of leaves on the trees. Summer – herbaceous borders, roses, scented shrubs to attract butterflies and moths, trees clothed in various shades of green. Autumn – red oaks, beeches and maples firing-off in reds, oranges and yellows – our own ‘Mini New England’. Winter – tortuous hazel, pines, cedars, wellingtonias and many trees displaying their spectacular bark – river birch, eucalyptus, snake-bark maples. We have a good mixture of indigenous and more exotic species which complement each other. We have already planted about 650 different types of deciduous trees and shrubs and over 90 different species of conifers. New planting is always taking place. The carefully planted vistas, already a joy to behold, can only improve with time...
Oaklea is teeming with wildlife. Bird-lovers in particular will find Oaklea a paradise. We have all the common garden birds plus greater-spotted and green woodpeckers, nuthatches, tree creepers, nightingales, nightjars, woodcocks, tawny owls, barn owls, buzzards, sparrow hawks, jays, goldcrests, long-tailed tits, pied wagtails, swallows, cuckoos, pheasants, partridges, mallard ducks and more ... even a red kite in 2005! The Oaklea dawn chorus is a truly wonderful wake-up call!
It is said a picture is worth a thousand words, so we have compiled a collection of photographs of Oaklea to give you a better idea of why we love this place so much. Please look at our ‘Photo Gallery’.
We are delighted to have been presented with the following awards as voted by members of The Caravan Club. Our sincere thanks to all who voted for Oaklea 5CL.
- 2008 Caravan Club CL of the Year Award - 2nd Place
- 2008 Caravan Club CL of the Year Award - Most Picturesque CL
- 2007 Caravan Club CL of the Year Award - Most Picturesque CL
- 2006 Caravan Club CL of the Year Award - Regional Commendation for Middle England and East Anglia
- 2006 Caravan Club CL of the Year Award - Best Newcomer CL
We do not wish to have an excessively long list of rules as we try to be flexible and relaxed in our approach to our visitors. Above all we would ask visitors to ‘do unto others as they would wish others do unto them’. Where relevant, Caravan Club rules apply on our site. More specifically we wish to draw your attention to the following points:
- Earliest arrival time 2pm. Please advise us of your estimated arrival time.
- Latest departure time 12noon.
- On arrival all visitors and their guests must call on us at our home adjacent to the entrance before proceeding onto the CL site.
- Balance of payment is required on arrival.
- Always drive at walking pace.
- We are an adult only site. All visitors and their guests must be 18 or over.
- Visitor’s guests are only allowed on site by prior arrangement with ourselves.
- To protect the grass pitches visitors and their guests will be required to park their vehicles on the hard-standing car park. If there are medical or other reasons why you are not able to comply with this request please discuss with us before booking.
- Awnings are allowed. We do however require that only breathable groundsheets are used.
- Long-stay visitors will be required to move position at weekly intervals to avoid excessive damage to grass. If there are medical or other reasons why you are not able to comply with this request please discuss with us before booking.
- Motorhomes (up to 32’) are sited on hard-standing pitches only. Please use a long hose for filling with water to avoid driving on the grass. We will be pleased to provide a ‘Hozelock’ hose if required.
- A chemical closet disposal point is provided. Only natural bio-degradable chemical fluids are to be used in chemical closets. We reserve the right to check on the fluids being used. Please note we do not have a toilet/shower block.
- Please keep to wide footpaths in the woodland garden to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Our long western boundary with an adjacent property is unfenced but clearly marked by a mature line of oaks and birches. Visitors must take care to respect our neighbour’s privacy.
- Smoking is not permitted in public areas.
- Well behaved dogs are welcome. If you have more than two dogs please discuss with us before booking.
- Recycling facilities are provided. Please place rubbish in appropriate bin and take extra care not to break glass.
- Barbecues are allowed. All must be raised sufficiently off the ground to avoid damage to grass.
- To avoid killing grass, the emptying of hot water from tanks or boilers onto grass is strictly forbidden.
This website was last updated February 2013
- £17.50 per caravan or motorhome per night, all inclusive.
This applies to two people in one unit.
- Extra persons £2.00 each per night.
- Booking well ahead of your proposed visit is highly advisable.
- Non-refundable booking deposits apply as follows:
A deposit of two night’s tariff will be charged for each booking of up to one week.
A deposit of four night’s tariff will be charged for each booking over one week.
A deposit of full payment ahead, up to a maximum of four night’s tariff, will be charged for each Bank Holiday / Special Event booking.
- To secure a booking the deposit must be paid within 10 working days.